Sunday, September 4, 2016

Horace Greeley to James S. Pike, April 27, 1850

New York, April 27, 1850.

Friend Pike: Thank you for yours of yesterday, especially for your decision to draw on us for expenses. I prefer to have it that way. “Business is business,” and I want to hire you — that is, just as much of your time as you choose to sell me. The Tribune is able to pay, and I would rather pay you than owe you.

I don't care to use your letters for telegraphic despatches, รก la Express; but you can often hear an inkling of the forthcoming Galphin report, the Compromise bill, the Committee on Old Bullion, etc., etc., which I will thank you to send by telegraph rather than the slower way. Bear in mind that expense is no object in the matter of early advices. I don't expect you to run round prying after such things, but they will fall in your way. Our Collector's confirmation or rejection is a matter of much interest here. Please indorse your letters conspicuously “Editors' Mail.”

Yours,
Horace Greeley.
J. S. Pike, Esq.


SOURCE: James Shepherd Pike, First Blows of the Civil War: The Ten Years of Preliminary Conflict in the United States from 1850 to 1860, p. 48

No comments: