Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Senator Salmon P. Chase to Charles Sumner, April 4, 1850

Washington, Apl. 4, ’50.

My Dear Sumner: You will see my speech in the Intelligencer of to-day or the Union of tomorrow or the Era of next week. It does not touch some topics as fully as you would desire, but as a document for circulation, beneficial to our cause, I hope it may meet with your approval. It would do me good and our cause, I think, good if an edition in handsome Boston style could be got up in your city. Our Salem friends would help I suppose. Such an edition appearing here from Boston would have an effect on the Senate. About 20,000 pamphlet copies will be printed here, but you know we are taxed to death for speeches. Will not Punchard publish it in the Traveller?

Ever yours,
[SALMON P. CHASE.]

SOURCE: Diary and correspondence of Salmon P. ChaseAnnual Report of the American Historical Association for the Year 1902, Vol. 2, p. 206

No comments: