Friday, December 1, 2017

Diary of Salmon P. Chase: September 28, 1863

I slept pretty well last night, under the hospitable roof of Mr. Garrett.1 After breakfast, he and Mr. Smith accompanied me to Mr. Swann's, with whom I exchanged kind greetings; thence to the hat-store of Mr. Smith's father-in-law, Mr. Van Zandt, where I supplied myself with something more suitable to the season than my “straw;” thence to the Custom House, where I exchanged salutations with the officers and clerks; and thence to the cars, where I found Judge Jewett, with whom I proceeded to Washington, and resumed my duties at the department.

Mr. Garrett informed me that the movement of the troops was going on successfully, which was confirmed by Mr. Stanton, who is greatly delighted by its success. He told me that the number to be moved had been found to reach 20,000, and yet the whole had been put in motion without disturbance and in perfect order. The last were expected to reach Washington to-day, and would be immediately sent forward. Thus, in five days, the men who, as the President was ready to bet, could not be got to Washington, would be already past that point, on their way to Rosecrans, while their advance had reached the Ohio River. If this whole movement is carried through to the end as well as it has been thus far, it will be an achievement in the transportation of troops unprecedented, I think, in history.
_______________

1 At Baltimore.

SOURCES: Robert Bruce Warden, An Account of the Private Life and Public Services of Salmon Portland Chase, p. 553; The Salmon P. Chase Papers, Volume 1: Journals, 1829-1872, p. 456-7

No comments: