Saturday, January 20, 2018

Joseph Dennis Harris to John Henry Kagi, August 22, 1859

Cleveland, Aug. 22, ‘59.
MY DEAR J. HENRIE:

I wrote you immediately on recept of your last letter, then went up to Oberlin to see Leary. I saw Smith, Davis, and Mitchell; they all promised and that’s all. Leary wants to provide for his family, Mitchell to lay his crop by; and all make such excuses until I am disgusted with myself and the whole negro set, GOD-DAM EM!

If you was here your influence would do something, but the moment you are gone all my speaking don’t amount to anything.

I will speak to Smith to-day. I know that Mitchell hasn’t got the money, and I have tried to sell my farm, and everything else, to raise money, but have — yet raised a cent. Charlie Langston says “it is too bad”; but what he will do, if anything, I don’t know. I wish you would write to him, for I believe he can do more good than I. Please write to him immediately, and I will give up the thing to him. I think, however, nothing will inspire them with sufficient confidence unless you come. I will, however, do all I can.

Truly,
J. D. H.
Charlie goes to see Leary to-day.

SOURCES: Franklin B. Sanborn, The Life and Letters of John Brown, p. 541; Calendar of Virginia State Papers and Other Manuscripts from January 1, 1836 to April 15, 1869; Preserved in the Capitol at Richmond, Volume 11, p. 334-5; Governor's Message and Reports of the Public Officers of the State, of the Board of Directors, and the Superintendents, and Other Agents of Public Institutions or Interests of Virginia, Part 1, p. 140; William Cheek & Aimee Lee Cheek, John Mercer Langston and the Fight for Black Freedom, 1829-65, p. 377, note 12.

No comments: