Thursday, January 18, 2018

Major-General William T. Sherman to Lieutenant-General Ulysses S. Grant, May 28, 1865 – 7 a.m.

HDQRS. MILITARY DIVISION OF THE MISSISSIPPI,                       
In the Field, Camp near Finley Hospital,      
Washington, May 28, 1865 7 a.m.
[General GRANT:]

DEAR GENERAL: I got your letter late last evening, and hastened down to see General Augur, but he was not in, when I saw his officer of the day and provost-marshal, and asked them as a favor to me to arrest and imprison any officer or man belonging to my command who transgressed any orders, rules, or regulations of the place, more especially for acts of drunkenness, noise, or rowdyism. I also went around to your office, but you were not there, but I saw Colonel Bowers, and told him what I had done. I was on the streets until midnight, and assure you I never saw more order and quiet prevailing. I had also, during yesterday, ridden all through the camps and observed no signs of riot and drunkenness, and believe I may assure you that there is no danger whatever that the men we know so well, and have trusted so often, will be guilty of any acts of public impropriety. The affair at Willard's Hotel was a small affair, arising from a heated discussion between a few officers in liquor, late at night, and unobserved save by the few who were up late. I will see that no officers presume to misbehave because of the unfortunate difference between the Secretary of War and myself. Of that difference I can only say that every officer and man regarded the Secretary's budget in the papers of April 24, the telegram of General Halleck indorsed by himself in those of the 28th, and the perfect storm of accusation which followed, and which he took no pains to correct, as a personal insult to me. I have not yet seen a man, soldier or civilian, but takes the same view of it, and I could not maintain my authority over troops if I tamely submitted to personal insult, but it is none the less wrong for officers to adopt the quarrel, and I will take strong measures to prevent it. I hope the good men of the command will have a few days in which to visit the Capitol and public grounds, to satisfy the natural curiosity, and then if the presence of so large a body of men so near Washington is deemed unpleasant I would suggest that the armies be dissolved, and all matters of discharge be imposed on the corps commanders, who have the lawful power in the premises, and during the period of pay and discharge and consolidation, these corps might be scattered, say one to Bladensburg (Twentieth), one to Relay House (Fourteenth), one to Monocacy (Fifteenth), and one to Frederick (Seventeenth). I would much prefer this to sending them back to the south bank of the Potomac, where they are crowded in with other troops, and have only choice of inferior ground for camps. I thank you for leaving the matter of orders to my management, and I will put myself and command perfectly on an understanding with General Augur and his garrison, and assure you that nothing offensive shall occur of any importance. Such little things as a tipsy soldier occasionally cannot be helped, but even that shall be punished according to “local orders.”

With great respect,
W. T. SHERMAN,
Major-General, Commanding,

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 47, Part 3 (Serial No. 100), p. 581-2

No comments: