Sunday, April 8, 2018

Senator Charles Sumner to Henry Wilson, April 25, 1851

Cragie House, Cambridge, April 25, 1851.

My Dear Wilson, — I have this moment read your remarks of last night, which I think peculiarly happy. You touched the right chord. I hope not to seem cold or churlish in thus withdrawing from all the public manifestations of triumph to which our friends are prompted. In doing so, I follow the line of reserve which you know I have kept to throughout the contest; and my best judgment at this moment satisfies me that I am right.

You who have seen me familiarly and daily from the beginning to the end will understand me, and, if need be, can satisfy those, who, taking counsel of their exultation, would have me mingle in the display. But I shrink from imposing any .thing more upon you.

To your ability, energy, determination, and fidelity our cause owes its present success. For weal or woe, you must take the responsibility of having placed me in the Senate of the United States.
I am prompted also to add, that, while you have done all this, I have never heard from you a single suggestion of a selfish character, looking in any way to any good to yourself: your labors have been as disinterested as they have been effective. This consideration increases my personal esteem and gratitude. I trust that you will see that Mr. B.'s resolves are passed at once as they are, and the bill as soon as possible. Delay will be the tactics of the enemy.

Sincerely yours,
Charles Sumner.
The Hon. Henry Wilson.

SOURCE: Elias Nason & Thomas Russell, The Life and Public Services of Henry Wilson, p. 93-4

No comments: