Sunday, April 1, 2018

Wood Hinton To Howell Cobb, Jan. 7,1845

Georgia, Jackson County, [Jan. 7,1845.]

Sir: I have one request to make of you that is this there are some negroes property to be Transported into some free State in the United State thare are maney opinions about it some say that it cannot be dun on a count that thare is no state that will receive them this question you can decide. I dont want you to make this a publick question in the House but to talk with the Members of Illinois or Indiana as they are the two nearest free States to me I am told that their States will not receive Negroes from a slave holding state and that they have past a law to that effect and a penalty if any is carried there this point you can decide . . . That question is one of importance to me and this business if actd on will stop the mouths of many I sincerely request of you for me  Will confer special favour.

SOURCE: Ulrich Bonnell Phillips, Editor, The Annual Report of the American Historical Association for the Year 1911, Volume 2: The Correspondence of Robert Toombs, Alexander H. Stephens, and Howell Cobb, p. 60

No comments: