Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Robert Toombs to James Thomas, November 19, 1847

Washington, Ga., Nov. 19, 1847.

Dear Thomas, I did not receive your favour of the 20th Oct. touching the Gilbert case until I returned home yesterday, and was not aware that the case had been taken up at all until I heard it had been decided by the Supr[eme] Court.1 The Supr[eme] Court is becoming a perfect nuisance. Unless we can get a lawyer on the bench, it will go down. I have disliked to say so heretofore, but from a careful inspection of its decisions I am well satisfied that the Court has committed more errors than it ever corrected; and I think such is becoming the general opinion of the profession.
_______________

1 The Supreme Court of Georgia, then but recently established.

SOURCE: Ulrich Bonnell Phillips, Editor, The Annual Report of the American Historical Association for the Year 1911, Volume 2: The Correspondence of Robert Toombs, Alexander H. Stephens, and Howell Cobb, p. 88-9

No comments: