Friday, September 7, 2018

Samuel Gridley Howe to Horace Mann, Tuesday, February 1851

Tuesday, February, 1851.

My Dear Mann: — Many thanks for your spicy and able article; truly you are great on Scripture! I always have said I would pay a higher pew tax if you were in the pulpit than I would for any other preacher since Socrates. I shall have the article in to-morrow morning if possible.

We have got still to fight on, and I begin to think that we shall succeed; the bolting Democrats, and many others who in their hearts have sided with them, begin to be in an agony of fear that the Free-soilers will stand firm and go before the people defeated by their treachery. They will hardly adjourn without fulfilling their contract.

We must keep the Free-soilers supplied with ammunition and stiffening: you have no idea what a limpsy set they are. Good honest men, and inclined to be brave and persistent, but utterly without head or backbone. They had a caucus yesterday afternoon, in which Stone of Charlestown put forth as a feeler the question of the propriety of changing the candidate. I had got Hopkins down; he was there; so was Downer. They asked the outsiders to express their sentiments: Hopkins made a strong argumentative speech; Downer put in some hot shot, and I used my popgun (at half cock perhaps), and I tell you Stone took nothing by his motion. We left them brave as Julius Caesar; how long they will stay put I don't know.

We want more from you. Short, spicy articles. Your incog, shall be kept if you do not betray it yourself, which you will do by your piety. I can keep dark, even to my chum and brother Sumner, and often do.

Ever yours,
s. G. h.

SOURCE: Laura E. Richards, Editor, Letters and Journals of Samuel Gridley Howe, Volume 2, p. 336-7

No comments: