Saturday, October 27, 2018

Captain Charles Wright Wills: May 30, 1864

Monday, May 30, 1864.

At dark last night I was put in charge of our brigade skirmish line of four companies; by 9:30 I had everything arranged to our notion. About that time the musketry commenced fire on our left and continued for a half hour; it was very heavy. Some three or four pieces of artillery also opened on our side. That thing was repeated eight times during the night, the last fight being just before daylight. When I was down on the right of the line I could hear the Rebels talking about the fight and saying it was a mighty hard one, and “I wonder whether our men or the Yanks are getting the best of it.” These night fights are very grand. I understand this fighting occurred between Hooker and the “Johnnies.” Attacks were made by each side, repulses easy. I guess from what little I hear there was a good deal more shooting than hitting on both sides. I think it was the intention for us to move to the left last night, but so much fighting prevented it. I don't know when I have been so used up as this morning, and the whole command is not far from the same condition, but a few hours’ sleep made me all right again this morning. The Rebels are much more tired than we; they have had no rest since leaving Dalton. One of their wounded, a captain, told me that one of their surgeons told him their loss since leaving Dalton in killed and wounded would amount to 25,000. That's pretty strong, the third of it or 10,000 I could believe. I was relieved at dark to-day from skirmishing duty.

SOURCE: Charles Wright Wills, Army Life of an Illinois Soldier, p. 251-2

No comments: