Saturday, April 6, 2019

Daniel Webster to Justice Joseph Story, January 14, 1822

Washington, January 14, 1822.

My Dear Sir,—I am much obliged to you for yours of the 8th, which I have just received. I came on very safe and sound, and am lodged comfortably, but not on the Capitol Hill; which, for some reasons, I regret. I learn that somebody has made provision for the court at, or near, the old spot. I will, however, speak to Mr. Caldwell.

There is much stir and buzz about Presidential candidates here. Mr. Clay's friends are certainly numerous: whether it be because his is the most recent nomination, or for what other reason, the fact is he is just now much talked about. I think it will be a busy winter, in talking and electioneering. My own opinion is, but I would not intimate it to others, that Mr. Clay considers himself a candidate, and means to run the race. More hereafter on these subjects.

Mr. Hopkinson desired me to beseech you to give him a day, as you come on. I promised him to write you, and mention his request. He wishes much to see you, and to give some of his friends that .pleasure. If, on your arrival, you contrive to send him notice, to No. 196, Chestnut street, he will esteem it a great favor.

I am glad your opinion is coming out It is much asked for.

Mr. Johnson of Kentucky, has to-day, I learn, made a long speech in favor of his proposed amendment. He has dealt, they say, pretty freely with the supreme court. Dartmouth College, Sturgis and Crowninshield, et cetera, have all been demolished. To-morrow he is to pull to pieces the case of the Kentucky betterment law. Then Governor Barber is to annihilate Cohens v. Virginia. So things go; but I see less reality in all this smoke than I thought I should, before I came here.

I hope you will call and see my wife, and my boys, what few there are of them; not forgetting Miss Julia.

Give my love to Mrs. Story, and believe me, most truly

Yours,
D. Webster.

SOURCE: Fletcher Webster, Editor, The Private Correspondence of Daniel Webster, Volume 1, p. 319-20

No comments: