Friday, June 28, 2019

Daniel Webster to Justice Joseph Story, November 13, 1822

Boston, November I3, 1822.

Dear Sir,—I went to Salem yesterday rather unexpectedly; a cause in which I was concerned having been called on. I found myself too unwell to try it, and so got delay, and returned last night. I feel pretty well while I am quiet and keep house, but I am not able to make any effort without pain, and renewing a half feverish feeling. My wish now is to remain at home till Saturday, go on that day to Providence, and I believe I shall take my wife with me, and get well enough, if I can, to tiy the Gold cause on Monday. I am afraid, however, that parties will be prepared on Friday, and that, on account of the number of witnesses, any delay will be inconvenient. In this case the cause must go on without me.

I am desirous to see you as you pass along to-morrow, and the particular object of this is to inquire, at what time and what place I may hope to find you in this town to-morrow. The bearer will take your answer, and bring it to me.

I saw Dr. Warren on my return last evening, and he has put me on a regimen for three days with medicine, &c. I hate all physic.

Yours,
D. Webster.

SOURCE: Fletcher Webster, Editor, The Private Correspondence of Daniel Webster, Volume 1, p. 322

No comments: