Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Congressman Daniel Webster to Ezekiel Webster, March 25, 1823

Washington, March 25, 1823.

Dear Ezekiel, — I am detained here still by the affairs of the Commission, and do not expect to leave before ten or fifteen days. It is our expectation to go to Dorchester for the summer, and I intend to move the second day of May. Soon after that I hope you will come down, as I shall want to see you very much on more accounts than one.

You have accomplished a great affair in New Hampshire. 1 know not whether it is a triumph, but it is at least a change, and for the present it seems for the better. I have seen the returns, and it is clear enough which way the Federal votes went.

As to the great Presidential question, my opinion is, that it was never more uncertain than now who will succeed. It is time to prepare public opinion in our quarter, for certain contingencies which may arise.

Who would New Hampshire be for, in your opinion, if it were certain that Mr. Adams would not succeed, or who would she prefer next to him? I wish you would write me an answer to this question, with or without the reasons on which your opinion rests, so as to reach me here by the tenth or twelfth of April. This can be done, if you will sit right down to it, on receipt of this. I would thank you also to express your own preference.

Yours always,
D. Webster.

P. S. You will probably hear from Portsmouth soon, on another subject.

SOURCE: Fletcher Webster, Editor, The Private Correspondence of Daniel Webster, Volume 1, p. 322-3

No comments: