Tuesday, July 16, 2019

George L. Stearns to Mary Hall Stearns, July 26, 1863

I am still perplexed as to the mode in which I can best carry out the work intrusted to me. It is so difficult to attach my mode of rapid working to the slow routine of the Department that I sometimes almost despair of the task and want to abandon it. Indeed, yesterday I went to Olmstead and asked his advice. He was so clearly of opinion that I must continue to work in the hope of better times, that I abandoned the idea, and came here to see Colonel Birney. Birney is a son of the old abolitionist, an able man and sound to the core. He is raising a regiment here with good success, and is just the man for the work. My next work will be here, and when I get through it I trust my future sailing will be plain and rapid.

I have had a short interview with Mr. Chase, who was very gracious; too short for me to form an opinion of him. He is much interested in my work, for it aids his plans, and will see me again.

Hugh McCulloch, to whom I wrote my letters on currency, is very much pleased with them. He made an objection which I am at his request to answer. It will probably lead to a correspondence on that subject.

SOURCE: Preston Stearns, The Life and Public Services of George Luther Stearns, p. 306-7

No comments: