Thursday, September 5, 2019

Congressman Daniel Webster to Mr. Mason, April 10, 1823

Washington, April 10, 1823.

Dear Sir, — Mr. John D. Williams of Boston informs me that he has written requesting you to go to Portland, at the Circuit Court, and argue his cause against Mr. Reed. I hope you will be able to go. He is a very worthy man, and an exceeding good client. He will satisfy you well; and his case you will easily understand. Mr. Greenleaf, who is in the cause for the plaintiff, Williams, is a very correct and able lawyer of his age, and will have the case duly prepared. It is a case of some importance and some expectation; and I would not for a good deal, as we say, that any thing should prevent your attention to it. I cannot be home in season to rest and then go to Portland. I have no other engagements there, and do not intend practising in that court. You are sixty miles nearer the court than I am, and I am sure you would find it much to your advantage to attend regularly.

When you see Judge Story, ask him to show you a letter which I wrote him about the appointment of a judge.

I grow very anxious to get home. The commissioners are here yet, and will remain probably ten days longer.

I have got through the bulk of all the cases committed to my care, and hope now to have a little repose. I shall be ready for any scheme of play which you can get up.

Yours very sincerely,
D. Webster.

SOURCE: Fletcher Webster, Editor, The Private Correspondence of Daniel Webster, Volume 1, p. 324-5

No comments: