Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Brigadier-General Lloyd Tilghman to Captain E. D. Blake, December 2, 1861

NASHVILLE, TENN., December 2, 1861.
Capt. E. D. BLAKE,
Assistant Adjutant-General, First Div., West. Dept., Ky.:

SIR: In obedience to special orders from headquarters Western Department I have assumed command of the defenses of the Cumberland and Tennessee Rivers on the line of Forts Donelson and Henry and of the country immediately adjacent thereto. You will please say to the Major-general commanding division that I have made a thorough examination of the whole line and will report as soon as practicable on the subject. I will state here, however, that it is but too plain that instant and powerful steps must be taken to strengthen not only the two forts in the way of work, but the armament must be increased materially in number of pieces of artillery as well as in weight of metal. I have communicated with General Johnston on the subject and learn that my wishes will be complied with on that point. I shall require a stronger infantry force also on these points. I will communicate in detail so soon as I return to my headquarters, which for the present I shall make at Fort Donelson.

I would be glad to have the major-general commanding designate the number or style of my brigade, so that my orders and letters may bear some relation and proper designation.

Respectfully, your obedient servant,
LLOYD TILGHMAN,         
Brigadier-General, P. A. G. S., Commanding, &c.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 7 (Serial No. 7), p. 731-2

No comments: