Sunday, December 18, 2022

William T. Sherman to Governor Thomas O. Moore, January 18, 1861

JANUARY 18, 1861.
GOVERNOR ThomAs O. MooRE,
BAToN ROUGE, LA.

SIR—As I occupy a quasi-military position under this State, I deem it proper to acquaint you that I accepted such position when Louisiana was a State in the Union, and when the motto of the seminary was inserted in marble over the main door, “By the liberality of the General Government of the United States. The Union, Esto Perpetua.” Recent events foreshadow a great change, and it becomes all men to choose. If Louisiana withdraws from the Federal Union, I prefer to maintain my allegiance to the old Constitution as long as a fragment of it survives, and my longer stay here would be wrong in every sense of the word. In that event, I beg you will send or appoint some authorized agent to take charge of the arms and munitions of war here belonging to the State, or direct me what disposition should be made of them. And furthermore, as President of the Board of Supervisors, I beg you to take immediate steps ~ to relieve me as Superintendent, the moment the State determines to secede; for on no earthly account will I do any act, or think any thought, hostile to or in defiance of the old Government of the United States.

With great respect, &c.,
w. T. SHERMAN.

SOURCES: Charles B. Richardson, Our Great Captains: Grant, Sherman, Thomas, Sheridan, and Farragut, p. 90-1; Walter L. Fleming, General W.T. Sherman as College President, p. 341-2

No comments: