Sunday, December 18, 2022

William T. Sherman to Governor Thomas O. Moore, January 18, 1861

January 18, 1861.

MY DEAR SIR: I take it for granted that you have been expecting for some days the accompanying paper from me (the above official letter). I have repeatedly and again made known to General Graham and Dr. Smith that, in event of a severance of the relations hitherto existing between the Confederate States of this Union, I would be forced to choose the old Union. It is barely possible all the states may secede, South and North, that new combinations may result, but this process will be one of time and uncertainty, and I cannot with my opinions await the subsequent development.

I have never been a politician, and therefore undervalue the excited feelings and opinions of present rulers, but I do think, if this people cannot execute a form of government like the present, that a worse one will result.

I will keep the cadets as quiet as possible. They are nervous, but I think the interest of the state requires them here, guarding this property, and acquiring a knowledge which will be useful to your state in aftertimes.

When I leave, which I now regard as certain, the present professors can manage well enough, to afford you leisure time to find a suitable successor to me. You might order Major Smith to receipt for the arms, and to exercise military command, while the academic exercises could go on under the board. In time, some gentleman will turn up, better qualified than I am, to carry on the Seminary to its ultimate point of success. I entertain the kindest feelings toward all and would leave the state with much regret; only in great events we must choose, one way or the other.

SOURCE: Walter L. Fleming, General W.T. Sherman as College President, p. 342-3

No comments: