Sunday, December 18, 2022

William T. Sherman to Senator John Sherman, January 18, 1861

ALEXANDRIA, Jan. 18, 1861.

DEAR BROTHER: Before receiving yours of the 7th, I had addressed a letter to Governor Moore at Baton Rouge, of which this is a copy: (see the preceding letters to Governor Moore).

I regard the seizure by Governor Moore of the United States Arsenal as the worst act yet committed in the present revolution. I do think every allowance should be made to southern politicians for their nervous anxiety about their political power and the safety of slaves. I think that the constitution should be liberally construed in their behalf, but I do regard this Civil War as precipitated with undue rapidity. It is inevitable. All the legislation now would fall powerless on the South. You should not alienate such states as Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Missouri. My notion is that this war will ruin all politicians, and that military leaders will direct the events.

SOURCE: Walter L. Fleming, General W.T. Sherman as College President, p. 343-4

No comments: