Thursday, December 5, 2019

Governor John A. Andrew to Count Adam Gurowski, June 25, 1862

I do not attempt to refute the very strong position in your letter concerning the views and the moral responsibility of the President. I cannot see the case as he sees it. But, still I do not denounce a man who is sincere, is looking in the right direction, as I hope, who may yet get to the right place; and who being the responsible and lawful head can decide what I cannot; and to support whom seems to present great opportunities for good, while to oppose whom would seem to threaten dangerous, if not fatal discords, and for the time being, ruin to the hopes of Liberty. I “hope all things,” and try to “believe all things.” You are stern and inflexible. I reverence the spirit so immovable. But, I hesitate to believe that you are wholly correct in not allowing something more for differences of mental constitution, which must always be taken into our account, and which being allowed for, do for the moral world what friction does in the world of matter. There is one Truth, but many possible roads to it. And minds as well as legs have their limitations.

SOURCE: Henry Greenleaf Pearson, The Life of John A. Andrew: Governor of Massachusetts, 1861-1865, Volume 2, p. 26

No comments: