Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Robert Murray to William H. Seward, May 19, 1864

Rec 20 May.
U. S. Marshall’s Office,                     
Southern District of New York,                    

New York May, 19th 1864
Hon. William Seward
            Secretary of State
                        Washington, D. C.

Dear Sir.

I arrived home this morning and find that the excitement in relation to the Extradition of José Augustín Arguelles, has materially subsided, since the publication of your note to A Oakey Hall I am however of the opinion, that the Grand Jury will find an indictment against me, and the Deputy Marshals engaged with me in putting the Spaniard on board of the Steamer.

I am sorry to inform you, that Surveyor Andrews1 of the Custom House has rendered himself very obnoxious in this matter, & if I am indicted by the Grand Jury for executing the orders of the Govt — I shall be indebted to him, more than any other person in New York for the same I remain Very Respy

Yr Obt Servt.
Robt Murray              
U S Marshal
[Endorsed on Envelope by Lincoln:]

Robert Murray.
_______________

1 Rufus Andrews.

SOURCE: Lincoln, Abraham. Abraham Lincoln papers: Series 1. General Correspondence. 1833 to 1916: Robert Murray to William H. Seward, Thursday,Case of Jose A. Arguelles. 1864. Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://www.loc.gov/item/mal3318000/

No comments: