Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Braxton Bragg to Elisa Ellis Bragg, February 3, 1856B

Evergreen, Sunday Evening, 3d Feb'y, 1856.

My dear Wife: Pierce will hand you this and probably explain my story before you read it, as he will know better how I stand then than I do now. I have not been to Col. Sparks. On my way there I met with a gentleman in the cay who by accident made my acquaintance, and remarked that he heard I was looking for a plantation, that he was just from the city where he had been to see Mr. Frank Webb and offer him one from a friend and found W. had purchased. He shewed me the note from the owner to Webb. The price seemed reasonable and the location not bad. It was “Leesburg," formerly your father's and uncle's. I concluded to stop one day and see it. So Richard, who was along, took charge of my trunk and I got off at Lafourche and took Mr. Holden's omnibus, paid my fare and in a short distance broke down, got out and walked to Thibodaux, hired a pony and rode up to Leesburg. Found the old man Mr. Shriver, who owns two-thirds, sick in bed, the other one-third owned by a creole, who is overseer. Shriver bought only two years ago, and was very anxious to sell, the other only willing. Their terms are at a cash calculation about $145,000. $30,000 now, the balance in different amounts at from 1 to 8 years. The land is just opposite and same size as Allen's. Negroes 104, 65 hands. Mules, oxen, cows, sheep, implements, corn, hay, etc., plenty. After examining all I accepted the offer. Rode down and spent the night with Pierce. He thought it a very favorable trade. Went back yesterday to close the bargain, and the old man differed in his calculation from mine $8,000 and we broke off. This morning his son and friend arrived here and bro't a note accepting my offer, saying he was in error. They meet me in Thibodaux tomorrow to close the bargain by signing a paper binding us mutually. Should this be done I shall go to the city with Pierce to arrange there for business. The improvements are crude but we can live in them, and the bargain is considered a fine one by all. I hope it may not fail. They have abundant seed well preserved.

It is difficult for me to say what you must expect for a few days, for they are big with events for me. The moment I can do so you shall hear what is to be the end and I will try and say when I shall come for you and what for.

Mr. Shriver and his wife appear to be good plain old people from Virginia, kind hearted and benevolent. They have some servants not of the plantation and must remain some weeks in the house. I take possession of plantation at once and they offer us a room and seat at the table if we desire it. He also offers me his carriage and horses and such of the furniture as we want. Some of it will do for us for the present but these are items to be considered after the trade. I had rather board in Thibodaux two months than miss the trade.

Nannie has a very bad cold from lowneck at the wedding, The rest are very well. Give me all your wishes for success, dear wife, and believe me,

Yr. devoted husband,
BRAXTON.

Say to Miss Anna, I could not find a pair of gloves in New York small enough for her delicate hands, so I substituted the Piano Cover for the bet she won last spring.

I enclose you a letter from Mr. Burke, which was too strong a temptation for me, so it was opened. It made me really modest for once in my life.

B. B.

SOURCE: Don Carlos Seitz, Braxton Bragg, General of the Confederacy, p. 15-16

No comments: