Monday, December 13, 2021

Governor Henry A. Wise to John W. Garrett, October 20, 1859

Washington City, 20th Oct., 1859.
J. W. Garrett, Esq.,

Dear Sir:— I arrived here from Harper's Ferry this evening. The marines having been ordered away from that place and departed, I organized an armed police guard to patrol the Virginia border, to protect persons and property, and to keep watch on the ways to and from the Ferry. This was done partly at the request of an agent of your Railroad company, and because no guard and no watch has been organized by the Federal authorities. Some guard ought to be provided on the Maryland side. I leave it to your company to suggest the necessary steps to the Governor of your State.

I have to make a request that you will take the trouble of an important commission, touching the prosecution of the criminal Brown and his associates. A gentleman informed me that one of the Baltimore volunteers, whom I do not know, had captured a travelling or clothes' bag of papers at the Kennedy farm, which was in the occupancy of Brown. I obtained from various other persons a mass of important papers, but this evening I see in the Sun the publication of several not seen by me before, and which must have been obtained from the forementioned bag. Now the originals are essential—they may be found at the printing offices of your city,or the person who had them may be found. Will you please advertise for them, and see to this, to recover them if possible, and have them carefully sent to Andrew Hunter, Esq., Charlestown, Jefferson Co., Va., for the purpose of trial of the accused. Any expense you may incur, you will please send me an account of, at Richmond. I write hurriedly and hope I do not trouble you too much with a matter in which your company's interest, may form my excuse. With thanks for your prompt attentions to me, officially and personally, in this whole affair,

I am very truly yours,
HENRY A. WISE.

SOURCE: B. H. Richardson, Annapolis, Maryland, Publisher, Correspondence Relating to the Insurrection at Harper's Ferry, 17th October, 1859, p. 28-9

No comments: