Friday, December 10, 2021

Major-General John A. McClernand to Abraham Lincoln, September 28, 1863

SPRINGFIELD, ILL., September 28, 1863.
To the PRESIDENT:

Failing to be restored to my command (now, as I understand, passed from General Grant's control), or to any command, and failing also to obtain a court of inquiry, no other mode of self-vindication is left to me than an official and responsible statement by myself of my own case. The accompanying paper is that statement, which I send to you for your perusal as a matter rightfully claiming your attention, and which, in justice to myself, my children, and my friends, I propose to publish.

Your obedient servant,
JOHN A. McCLERNAND,        
Major General.

OCTOBER 9, 1863.

P. S.—Governor [Richard] Yates, having returned from Ohio without visiting Washington and delivering this note and accompanying package, I avail myself of the first opportunity to send both by mail. I also send copies of the statement of my case to the Secretary of War and the General-in-Chief.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 24, Part 1 (Serial No. 36), p. 169

No comments: