Thursday, December 9, 2021

Major-General Ulysses S. Grant to Brigadier-General Lorenzo Thomas, June 26, 1863

HEADQUARTERS DEPARTMENT OF THE TENNESSEE,        
In Camp near Vicksburg, Miss., June 26, 1863.
Brig. Gen. LORENZO THOMAS,
        Adjutant-General of the Army, Washington, D.C.:

GENERAL: Inclosed I respectfully transmit the letters of Maj. Gen. W. T. Sherman, commanding Fifteenth Army Corps, and Maj. Gen. J. B. McPherson, commanding Seventeenth Army Corps, of date, respectively, the 17th and 18th instant, relative to the congratulatory order of Maj. Gen. John A. McClernand to his troops, a copy of which order is also herewith transmitted, together with copies of the correspondence relating thereto, and my order relieving General McClernand from the command of the Thirteenth Army Corps and assigning Maj. Gen. E. O. C. Ord to the command thereof, subject to the approval of the President.

A disposition and earnest desire on my part to do the most I could with the means at my command, without interference with the assignments to command which the President alone was authorized to make, made me tolerate General McClernand long after I thought the good of the service demanded his removal. It was only when almost the entire army under my command seemed to demand it that he was relieved.

The inclosed letters show the feelings of the army corps serving in the field with the Thirteenth Corps. The removal of General McClernand from the command of the Thirteenth Army Corps has given general satisfaction, the Thirteenth Army Corps sharing, perhaps, equally in that feeling with the other corps of the army. My action in the relieving of Maj. Gen. John A. McClernand from the command of the Thirteenth Army Corps and the assignment of Maj. Gen. E.O. C. Ord to that command I trust will meet the approval of the President.*

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,
U.S. GRANT,        
Major-general.
_______________

* See also McClernand to Halleck, June 24, p. 165

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 24, Part 1 (Serial No. 36), p. 158-9

No comments: