Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Colonel Florence M. Cornyn to Colonel Jacob B. Biffle, May 30, 1863

SAVANNAH, (TENN ) MAY 30, 1863

Colonel Biffle:  SIR:  Your pompous demand for the surrender of one squadron of cavalry (15th Illinois regiment) occupying this place, and your cowardly retreat before you received Capt. Carmichael’s intrepid reply, suggested to me the propriety of visiting upon the traitor citizens here (who tried to assist you in the capture of that gallant little band) a little of the legitimate vengeance of my Government.  Therefore, in the name of our glorious Republic, I hereby make good the great exordium of the Declaration of Independence, i. e. “That all men are created free and equal,” and to-day I free and take with me from this town every colored creature who inherits with the human race every where the image of his Maker and an immortal soul.

I am, sir, the willing and obedient servant of my country,

FLORENCE M. CORNYN,        
Colonel 10th Missouri cavalry, Com’g Cav. Brigade.

SOURCE: Weekly National Intelligencer, Washington, D. C., Thursday, June 25, 1863, p. 4

No comments: