Monday, January 31, 2022

Pierre G. T. Beauregard to William T. Sherman, April 7, 1860

NEW ORLEANS, April 7, 1860.

MY DEAR MAJOR: I have just received the enclosed letter from Captain G. W. Smith,1 which speaks for itself. I agree with him in his observations. In default of Smith, Lovell2 would be a very proper man, provided you still intend to resign, but I hope you will conclude to stay a while longer.

My son seems to be more and more pleased with your institution, although at times a little homesick, but that is natural and I expected it.

When will your second term commence? My second son will probably enter then.

_______________

1 Later a Confederate general. – Ed.

2 Mansfield Lovell a graduate of West Point later a Confederate general. - Ed.

SOURCE: Walter L. Fleming, General W.T. Sherman as College President, p. 198

No comments: