Monday, February 28, 2022

Braxton Bragg to William T. Sherman, June 14, 1860

LAFOURCHE NEAR THIBODAUX, June 14, 1860.

MY DEAR SHERMAN: Your letter has been too long without a reply, but procrastination steals on us imperceptibly. My time at home has been in fragments only for the whole year, and not having been accustomed to manage my own business by a proxy it annoys me no little. Even now I am worrying over matters of detail so as to have things ready that I may leave home for a few weeks for my health. A short trip to the mountains after five years here is advised for me. By 15th July I shall be off to be absent two months.

Parts of your letter caused me pain, for I clearly foresee the downfall of the Seminary if Smith1 succeeds. All such efforts under abstract theorists have gone down with the curses of their patrons and a loss of the endowments. On the contrary I never had a doubt of perfect success under practical common sense men. I fear that Smith is backed by Governor Moore, and though both of them may mean well, neither has any knowledge of education or mental training; but they are governed by abstract theories which no reasoning can reach. Nothing ever brought Smith to yield as far as he did last winter but down right abuse from some half dozen of your friends at Taylor's table. Taylor and Goode both told him plainly they would take active measures to abolish the whole thing if he did not give up his University theories.

I pray that you may be successful for your own sake, and because I believe it the only institution which will succeed in this country. Friend Graham writes me he has suggested my name to the governor for the appointment of supervisor. I believe it will not succeed. Where Dr. Smith got his authority for saying I would not accept I do not know. Neither to him nor any other man did I ever say so. Upon the contrary, I thought the governor ought to have offered me the appointment when the legislature with so much unanimity made it a "Military Academy." I would then have accepted, indeed desired it. But no opinion was ever expressed to anyone on the subject. Nothing could have induced me to appear in the light of seeking a position of honor.

Now I doubt if I could consistently accept. Holding two offices – trifles it's true – in my parish - Levee Inspector and School Director – my time is all occupied.

If you yet have any organization or definite regulations let me hear. The commencement and end of your academic year, times of examinations, vacations, if any, etc. Our police jury gave my young friend Perkins the appointment from this parish. I don't know that they will send you any notice. The note I enclosed him is official from the president of the jury.

I have heard nothing as yet from the old Battery.2 When in Washington this summer I will see Col. Craig3 and try to effect the object.

When in New Orleans in May last I met by accident with our old friend Steptoe. Sadly changed, poor fellow, and still more sadly situated. He was on his way home from Cuba, where he had spent the winter nursing a charming wife, far gone with the consumption and he is himself a sad victim to the same insidious disease. It was a sad but pleasant meeting, so unexpected to both

He has resigned.

I will write to Friend Graham soon.

_______________

1 Dr. S. A. Smith, who wanted to model the Seminary after the University of Virginia. - ED.

2 Bragg was trying to get for the Seminary his Buena Vista battery. - Ed.

3 Chief of Ordinance, United States Army. - ED.

SOURCE: Walter L. Fleming, General W.T. Sherman as College President, p. 218-20

No comments: