Sunday, April 10, 2022

Brigadier-General Felix K. Zollicoffer to General Albert Sidney Johnston, September 16, 1861

KNOXVILLE, September 16, 1861.
General A. S. JOHNSTON, Memphis, Tenn.:

SIR: On the 10th instant I apprised Adjutant-General Cooper that I expected on the 12th to have three regiments at Cumberland Ford and three other regiments there as soon as they could be withdrawn from other posts, and I added:

The country beyond Cumberland Gap, toward Nelson's Camp, is poor and hostile. To make secure our line of communication with the sources of our supplies, it is essential to strengthen the positions at Cumberland Gap, Cumberland Ford, and the intervening passes of the Three Log Mountains. This may be accomplished, I trust, in a few days after the six infantry regiments get to the Ford, when we will be ready to make a forward movement.

On the 13th I received dispatches from Governor Harris and General Buckner, urging me to arrest my movement at the State line, if possible. These dispatches came too late, reaching me after my return from London. I replied to Governor Harris by telegraph, requesting him to transmit to Governor Magoffin the following note:

Last night General Cooper telegraphed me in reference to my suggestion of the 10th, that, after strengthening the mountain passes, “we will be ready to make a forward movement,” as follows:

The military considerations clearly indicate the forward movement which you propose. The political condition of Kentucky affects the determination of the question. Of that you are better informed than ourselves; and as you are supposed to have conferred with General A. S. Johnston, the matter is left to your discretion.

There are probably by this time four regiments at Cumberland Ford, and a fifth at the Gap, 15 miles this side. A sixth will probably be moved up by the 21st or 22d; and if the state of things in Greene County, where there has been some excitement, is such as I suppose, I am not able yet to indicate within what time proper defenses in the mountain passes can be completed, but every effort will be made to push the work forward vigorously. I hope to go there to-morrow. Would have gone earlier, but have been detained by pressing necessities here. I meant to say to General Cooper that we would be ready to make a forward movement, should it be deemed advisable.

I find myself at a loss, under present condition of things, how to obtain reliable information of the strength and movements of the enemy. I will endeavor to place before you promptly information I may receive and all circumstances enabling you to understand our condition. I inclose the most perfect report we are now able to make of the various corps, scattered as they now are at distant posts.*

Very respectfully,
F. K. ZOLLICOFFER,        
Brigadier-General.
_______________

* Not found.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 4 (Serial No. 4), p. 194-5

No comments: