Thursday, April 7, 2022

Pierre G. T. Beauregard to William T. Sherman, July 10, 1860

NEW ORLEANS, July 10, 1860.

DEAR MAJOR: . . . I should like much to be able to accept your kind invitation to attend your examinations but my occupations and this intolerably hot weather will not permit me to do so. I have no doubt however that the result of these examinations will do credit to your institution and be satisfactory to yourself and assistants.

Not wishing to send money by mail and supposing you would, for a like reason, prefer a check, I send one herewith for $50 on the Bank of Louisiana, of which one half is for my son, less the amount due by him or for him and the other half for Mr. Reid's son for the purpose of bringing them home. Should young Proctor have need of any I will send him some, for his father and family have gone to the Virginia Springs for the summer, where he is to go to meet them.

I have just succeeded in getting off from the superintendency of West Point, where I was to have been ordered this summer. The thing is delayed for one or two years longer.1

I am going to send you my youngest son Henry in October next to be prepared for West Point; he will stay with you two years nearly. I want him to do credit to himself and honor to your Academy. So you must have an eye on him. He has been appointed in René's place a state cadet from the Parish of St. Bernard. René will go back as an ordinary cadet. . .
_______________

1 Beauregard became superintendent of West Point for a short time in 1861.- ED.

SOURCE: Walter L. Fleming, General W.T. Sherman as College President, p. 242-3

No comments: