Thursday, April 7, 2022

William T. Sherman to George Mason Graham, July 4, 1860

July 4, 1860.

DEAR GENERAL: My supply of official paper is running low, and I take this sheet to tell you in a private way that our celebration to-day passed off perfectly well. The march by platoons from our usual parade ground to the stand was handsome, arms were stacked, and cadets seated. I had chairs enough for all ladies of whom the attendance was really very fine.

The marshal, Taliaferro (vice Spencer quit), performed his part with modesty and propriety, the Declaration was read by Cushman in a clear, manly voice, and the oration delivered by Cornelius gave general satisfaction. Boyce1 wants it for publication. At first I thought best to advise adversely, but of course I knew the speech before it was delivered and see no impropriety in its publication. I think I will prevail on Cornelius to have it published. Of course I know full well these are the mere ephemera of the hour, and next week will seem stale, but it will be an advertisement, and if good may spread beyond the circle of the Red River American.

I will now set about for the examination. I know the expectations of the public are too high and you must wink at any little stage play. The professors must favor their pupils at the examination, leaving us to grade them honestly and strictly according to our knowledge of their real progress.

As the Board has invited a public orator for the occasion, I want to know his name as soon as possible that I may advise with him as to his preference. Public speakers are as fickle as young ladies. They prefer sometimes out of doors to speak, some the length of the room, some across the room, etc. As to the cadets I will study to arrange for them to the best advantage. By a little management to-day we have made a decided hit. I have the regulations nearly done, amended pretty extensively. If the Board want to revise them they must act, for if they devolve on me any duty, my rule is to do it, though I do it wrong. . .

_______________

1 Editor of the Red River American. – Ed.

SOURCE: Walter L. Fleming, General W.T. Sherman as College President, p. 238-9

No comments: