Thursday, April 7, 2022

William T. Sherman to George Mason Graham, July 6, 1860

SEMINARY, July 6, 1860.

DEAR GENERAL: I have received your note of yesterday with Colonel Bragg's letter which I have read with great satisfaction. I had written him some ten days ago urging him to come up if possible at our examinations. I had no knowledge of course that he had been invited to deliver an address. I think that will tempt him. He writes, as you know, well and can speak his thoughts clearly and with emphasis, the best kind of oratory, still I don't think he has an ambition to be styled an orator.

Still if he do accept I will be more than pleased. Though it will not be reasonable to expect too much of us at our first examination, yet if the professors will use some little discretion I have no doubt we can satisfy all. As you will have learned our 4th passed off well. Not a particle of noise, disorder, or confusion. Everyone played his part modestly and well.

As our examinations will consume two whole days and nights and as our benches have no backs, I have taken the liberty to order twelve dozen chairs not to cost more than twelve dollars the dozen, from New Orleans. I could not procure with any certainty the hide bottoms and have ordered wood bottoms — similar to our mess hall chairs, which have lasted well, not one broken yet. These chairs will do to sell to cadets next term. I am fully authorized to do this by a resolution of the Board, yet I should have procured your sanction first; but I was not convinced of the pressing necessity till I experienced the necessity. I will have them in time for the examination.

I have never been to Bayou Robert since my first arrival and propose to-day to go down to visit Governor Moore, Colonel Chambers, Mr. Ransdell, General Bailey, etc., start this p.m. and return to-morrow. Governor Moore sent a fine lot of cake for the cadets and a basket of wine for the professors. The former was added to their stock and enabled them to set a nice table for the ladies. The wine is untouched and I hardly know how to dispose of it. I think it prudent we should exhibit as little wine as possible in our rooms or table. I have always paid and advised the professors to pay largely toward the general hospitality, and thus far we have done so without wines, except claret. Work on house, fence, road, etc., progressing fast and I hope you will get notice of the appropriations for houses and apparatus before examination.

I send you Bragg's letter and would write him again if I thought his time would admit of his receiving my letter. But he will have decided before I could get my letter to him. If he do not speak, some member of the Board [must speak]. I have official notice of twenty-five state cadets, none from New Orleans yet. 

SOURCE: Walter L. Fleming, General W.T. Sherman as College President, p. 239-41

No comments: