Sunday, May 29, 2022

Colonel Theophilus T. Garrard to Brigadier-General George H. Thomas, October 3, 1861

CAMP WILDCAT, October 3, 1861.
General GEORGE H. THOMAS:

I have no information in regard to the rebels more than I wrote you, except the inclosed order of General Zollicoffer, which I have no doubt is genuine. I could not doubt it, because they carried out the instructions to the letter. I also inclose you a letter directed to Hon. Green Adams, &c.* The bearer of this letter, Mr. Hurst, is reliable, and was in Tennessee sometime since and taken prisoner. The order from Major Coffee, countermanding the blockade of the Madison Fork of the Richmond road, was sent me this evening. If we have one day's notice, which we certainly will have, I can have the road blocked up completely. However, we have been doing and undoing so much, that you may begin to think we are fickle. I should not have ordered the blockade the second time if it had not have been for General Carter, and he was for carrying out instructions.

You will see before this reaches you that Colonel Brown has moved to the river some 2 miles from us. I would be afraid to place them between the enemy and our camp. Some of his men are, I fear, a little timid, and I doubt whether or not they will do their duty on that side of us. There is a tolerable good camping ground about 2 miles beyond our camp. General Carter spoke of' it as we passed it, looking out the points to blockade. It is near Little Rockcastle, and near a point where the road passes between the point of a ridge and Little Rock-castle River. At the point where we are camped there is but little room, though we can stick our tents about on points and sides of hills, and could find room enough to place another regiment on the same kind of ground.

Respectfully, your obedient servant,
T. T. GARRARD,        
Colonel Third Regiment Volunteers.

P. S.—Are there any cartridges for rifled muskets at Camp Robinson? The muskets I received of Captain Cardwell, of Harrodsburg, are rifled. I have not examined, but learn from others the ordinary cartridge will not suit them. Surgeon Hogan has not yet been furnished with a tent. He desires one sent, if there is any to be had.

_______________

[Inclosure.]

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 4 (Serial No. 4), p. 291-2

No comments: