Sunday, May 29, 2022

Brigadier-General Felix K. Zollicoffer to Lieutenant Colonel William W. Mackall, October 6, 1861

CAMP BUCKNER, October 6, 1861.
Lieutenant-Colonel MACKALL,
        Assistant Adjutant-General, Columbus, Ky.:

SIR: A reconnoitering detachment has just returned from London, reporting no appearance of an enemy there. They report, upon general information from country people, that there are 3,300 of the enemy encamped on Rockcastle Hills, a strong position 13 miles beyond, where the Mount Vernon road crosses the Rockcastle River. I would move forward and attack them instantly but for unexpected deficiency in subsistence stores. Ten days ago I ordered the brigade commissary to accumulate a stock of 30 days' rations for 5,000 men. To-day I have not 5 days' rations. I could not properly advance with less than 10. I hope soon to have the supplies.

I sent a large detachment into Harlan County, where I heard there were 500 or 600 men embodied under arms. No organized enemy found. I have sent a cavalry detachment to Williamsburg; not yet returned. This is nearly my only means of getting information of the country.

Very respectfully,
F. K. ZOLLICOFFER,        
Brigadier-General.

N. B.—Thirteen men were captured in Harlan in small armed parties.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 4 (Serial No. 4), p. 439

No comments: