Sunday, May 29, 2022

Colonel Theophilus T. Garrard to Brigadier-General George H. Thomas, October 10, 1861

CAMP WILDCAT, October 10, 1861.
General GEORGE H. THOMAS:

The point called Laurel Hill I am unable to say anything definite. When I wrote you some days ago I was of the opinion that the hill known as Laurel Hill was beyond Little Rockcastle, and not more than 3 miles from this camp; but now I am induced to believe the hill is beyond Big Laurel Creek; if so, I cannot say anything definite about it.

There is a bridge over Big Laurel, though the stream is not 50 feet wide. There is no ford for several miles either above or below, as I am told by citizens, except near the bridge.

The country on the opposite [side] of the creek from this is level for some 300 yards; then the road forks, one by Barboursville, the other by Payne's Cross-Roads, and unite 8 miles beyond Barboursville, near the Flat Lick. The hill beyond the bridge, some say, commands the roads, though I cannot see how it does.

I have been informed that the rebels have been examining a hill beyond London 9 miles, where there is a meeting-house, near McHargue's. I understand this hill commands the Barboursville road for some distance. They may establish a temporary camp there for the purpose of getting grain, &c., it being one of the best neighborhoods on the road, though this would not command the road that runs by Payne’s Crossroads.

I have understood, but place no confidence in the report, that the rebels intend going through Whitley County and Pulaski, so as to surround this camp. They were in Williamsburg Saturday last; that is, about 200 cavalry.

When Captain Smith, of the cavalry, reached here there was not one of Colonel Wolford's men in camp, nor had there been for several days, and if my informant is correct, some of them that are now here will do no good. They were seen drunk on picket yesterday at or near London, some 10 miles from this camp.

In regard to surgeon and assistant, I will write to Dr. William Atkinson, tendering to him the appointment on conditions, which conditions I will state to him. If he accepts, I will tell him to report to you as he comes to join the regiment.

I would like very much to have had Dr. Hogan as assistant surgeon, as he is very attentive, and so far has treated the cases which he has been called upon to attend in such a manner as to give satisfaction. If it is not contrary to orders, I would like for Dr. Hogan to remain as assistant with the surgeon, so that the surgeon acting with him may have an opportunity of testing his qualifications practically. Dr. Hogan says that he was embarrassed, but still thinks he could undergo an examination.

Inclosed I send you Zollicoffer's proclamation,* also statement of [illegible] about the location of troops. The proclamation was copied from Zollicoffer's.

Captain Smith, of the cavalry, has several men that will not do any good here. I have advised him to send them to Camp Dick Robinson, so that he may get some others in return. I have 975 non-commissioned officers, musicians, and privates in the regiment.

Inclosed I send you list of articles received in the regiment agreeably to the different captains' reports.

OCTOBER 11.

I have no late news of the rebels, that is reliable, near us, though some of the officers believe a squad was seen between this camp and Mount Vernon.

Respectfully, your obedient servant,
T. T. GARRARD,        
Colonel Third Regiment Kentucky Volunteers.
_______________

* Not found.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 4 (Serial No. 4), p. 300-1

No comments: