Monday, May 23, 2022

William T. Sherman to David F. Boyd, August 5, 1860

 LOUISIANA STATE SEMINARY, Aug. 5, 1860.

Sir: By virtue of authority vested in me by resolution of the Board of Supervisors, I hereby delegate to you all the authority and power thereby conveyed to me, for the purpose of protecting and guarding the buildings, fences, trees, grounds and property of all kinds and descriptions belonging in any wise to this institution. I beg you will enter into charge of the same and do all things deemed by you proper to secure the end in view.

In the first place I hereby leave with you in checks and money the sum of $780.42, being my exact cash balance this day, as per cash book already deposited with you.

The merchandise book, styled journal, has an inventory of merchandise on hand. The Seminary owns a mule and cart, which with slave Henry, should be profitably employed in gathering firewood for the coming session. Two boys, Dick and Manuel, can be employed in cutting wood when not otherwise engaged.

This period of vacation is designed as the time for refurnishing the building; as we have gone over it in person and noted down in writing the exact number of tables, bookcases, and clothes presses needed, and as the carpenters are actually employed in their manufacture, I think I need say nothing further than that it would be well to see that they keep well up to time, so that they will surely be able to finish all in October.

The work under stairway should be well done.

All the boys are paid up to Aug. 1, except Dr. Smith's boy, and I will leave an amount and check for him.

I design to order merchandise from New Orleans and New York, but will be here myself when it arrives. Still should I be delayed, or should any come prematurely, store it in this large room, near the south end, leaving this office end clear.

All cadets' articles of furniture should be in the Chemical Academy, and should be looked to occasionally, as thieves might rob them very easily.

The fact is your own judgment will be better than mine in all things that may arise. All letters open – if private, up to Oct. 1, send me at Lancaster, O.; if public, answer, and copy your answers. Though your summer stay here will be lonely, I hope it may be one of health and comparative comfort, and surely I will remember in the future your sacrifice to enable us to visit our friends and families this summer.

SOURCE: Walter L. Fleming, General W.T. Sherman as College President, p. 250-1

No comments: