Monday, May 23, 2022

William T. Sherman to George Mason Graham, August 2, 1860

ALEXANDRIA, Aug. 2, 1860.

DEAR GENERAL: I came in this morning with the register complete and it is now in the hands of the printer, with a promise that it shall be done on Saturday ready for proof. I will be in again on Saturday to prove the sheets, when there will be no further cause for my delay, and therefore I will be ready to start north next Tuesday.

I have had an interview with Mr. Manning and we have gone over the regulations together. As Colonel, of course I command in a military sense all commissioned officers and cadets of the institution; as superintendent also I should have equal control or command over every person including the professors at the institution, subject always to the resolutions of the Board of Supervisors. Else I cannot be responsible. This is the only real point in which I find I differ with Mr. Manning, and this radical difference must be solved by the Board. Mr. M. tells me he has applied to the governor to call the Board together.

I can leave the regulations to be forwarded to me at Lancaster and I will have them printed at Cincinnati, or you can have them done by Bloomfield and Steel in New Orleans. But the regulations must be printed by November 1 or I am done, for in every circular I have made, this assurance was given that a copy should be placed in the hands of every cadet on arrival. It was my intention to have furnished one hundred suits of uniform clothing and all those things, like paper, blank books, etc., that I know will be needed next session, to be here Nov. 1, to be paid for out of the cadets' money.

But the Board misunderstood my purpose. I have no business at New York. To go there would cost me $150, but I feel so desirous to start next session fair and well supplied that I was willing to incur that expense.

I shall enclose all the requisitions of the several professors for text-books, stationery, etc., with my statement of articles required at the outset next session, to be by you laid before the Board of Supervisors, that they may make the necessary arrangements for the purchase. I have been foiled in every attempt heretofore made to get supplies of books and clothing here or at New Orleans, but the Board of Supervisors better experienced in such things may be more successful.

I beg to recall such part of my letter as refers to going to New York, as it would be superfluous. I will nevertheless go to Washington and try to secure the quota of arms for 1860.

If you think my presence here necessary, I can delay my departure, and I know you fully agree with me that this question of supplies is far more important than is generally supposed. All the professors look to me to procure their supplies and I have so estimated that profits just about cover the excess on hand. Cadets on arrival will need instantly near $8,000 of clothing, books, stationery, and bedding. None of these need be paid for till the cadets make their deposit, and the Seminary is only out the surplus – and the profits of say ten per cent ought to cover that.

Still this plan was the only one I could adopt. The Board has never approved or disapproved and I have gone on controlling the purchases and issues. I think now the matter ought to be done formally. Resolve that I shall do it, or that Robertson shall fill the estimates. In the divided state of feeling in this country, it is best, that business be done formally. Those views are expressed to you that they may be communicated to the Board which meets Aug. 13 by order of Governor Moore, as I see by the letter sent to Mr. Manning after I began this hurried letter.

I shall write more from the Seminary, to-morrow, and will be here Saturday and Monday. I doubt if I should leave before the Board meets, but my young folks are most crazy and they are now looking for me. Still duty first. If you think you can manage, it might be well for me to be away, but I must have control over professors. That is the point at issue.

SOURCE: Walter L. Fleming, General W.T. Sherman as College President, p. 247-9

No comments: