Sunday, May 22, 2022

William T. Sherman to George Mason Graham, August 30, 1860

LANCASTER, OHIO, Aug. 30, 1860.

DEAR GENERAL: I wrote you and Mr. Whittington from Washington of my entire success in procuring a full and ample supply of arms. Thence I went to New York, where Smith joined me from Norfolk and there I purchased clothing for next term, books for Mr. Boyd's library, text-books, and very little for my department of engineering. These will not be needed for some time, so I confined myself to selecting instruments, books, etc., with prices so that I can order them, with a foreknowledge of cost. I left New York on Sunday arrived here Tuesday and yesterday, Wednesday, received from Mr. Boyd the budget of regulations amended.

I was in hopes that the Board would forbear another year, and if we had failed to realize our promises, that then the change would be applied, whilst admitting our entire success, they clip my wings, and make me occupy the unhandy position of servant to the Board of Supervisors, and Academic Board at the same time. I know well your opinion, but regret that you saw proper to resign the vice-presidency, because the Board will confer it on some one else, who may still further complicate two incompatible systems into one, and make a hotch potch that may not only defeat the original design, but bring reproach on all connected with it.

Nevertheless I will have these regulations printed and will come down in October. I feel more embarrassment on the score of the removal of my family. I shall not attempt it till I know that Red River is navigable, for I must procure furniture and supplies for the new house. These will cost me near two thousand dollars, a sum I cannot afford to risk at this era of my life.

Manning's letter to me expresses great confidence in my administration, but you know that a simple paragraph of the regulations changed may initiate an impracticable system1 that no one man can enforce, and that sooner or later may result in my downfall. Of course as a prudent man I ought to look ahead as far as possible. I doubt if the cadets would submit to Vallas's government, though some native of Louisiana could steer the middle channel now adopted better than I can. Vallas has a way of hinting and insinuating that is peculiarly offensive, and I doubt if Smith will teach a class under him. If Vallas has no assistance, and Smith refuse to teach a class under Vallas, we will be at a dead lock the first day of our next session.

My wife and children are all well and comfortably placed, and I hate to move them, though Mrs. Sherman having despaired of my ever living here at Lancaster is willing to go south.
_______________

1 The regulations were amended for the purpose of giving the faculty more independence of the superintendent as well as a voice in the control of academic affairs and in matters of discipline. Dr. Vallas was the principal advocate of this policy. – ED.

SOURCE: Walter L. Fleming, General W.T. Sherman as College President, p. 264-6

No comments: