Sunday, May 22, 2022

William T. Sherman to David F. Boyd, August 30, 1860

LANCASTER, Ohio, Aug. 30, 1860.

MY DEAR FRIEND: I am just in receipt of your letter of 18th and Mr. Manning's enclosing the amended regulations, which I have just put up for the publisher in Cincinnati. I must send them off at once, and follow in ten days to prove them. Your experience with the register will show you that it is no easy task and it will take a slice off my visit home. One reason why I wanted them with me was because I was in New York a week, during which I could have had them printed and proved. Whereas now after traveling three weeks at heavy personal expenses, I must allow for a week at Cincinnati.

Of course I submit to a decision of the Board of Supervisors with as good a grace as possible because they have a right to govern according to their judgment. I think they mistake in giving the Academic Board, in its capacity as such, the trouble, labor, etc., of a standing court, because this in time might easily and well have been devolved on Assistant Professors or even cadets, to take and record testimony. Whereas now on every little muss the whole Academic Board must sit. As to limiting my power, at the same time it limits my responsibility, and I can let things slide and take care of themselves. But the truth is that these changes are made not for the good of the institution, but because there is a scramble for the honors supposed to be coming out of its success, and in that scramble they may lose the prize itself. Well I will have the regulations printed and will do what I can to enforce them, but of course my interest is materially lessened in its success.

I bought your books in New York and paid five hundred dollars. I had some bought in paper and will have them bound in uniform style. There will be over four hundred volumes, and substantially cover your list. I made such arrangements that we can order other books as we need them, the price to be governed by catalogue and discount according to time of payment. New York is booming full of people, and I got away lest I should be tempted to run hopelessly in debt. I could have spent fifty thousand dollars in books easier than five hundred dollars. I will enclose with this a list of books bought for you. Smith was there and made arrangements so that when Red River rises he can buy his books and chemicals and have them sent out.

I did the same for my books and instruments, but your books and all text books I ordered to be shipped by October 1, and if need be they must be hauled up from Red River mouth. I don't mind Frank's1 running off he can easily be replaced, though I do want to economize by having the drummer as clerk, for it is physically impossible for me to do the writing – though it will have to be as large again as last year. My brother John will be here to make a Republican speech tomorrow and will spend Sunday with me.

From him I shall learn the secrets of their party, of course they will carry Ohio, as the Republicans have made the question very narrow, strong, and no slavery for the territories.

I could tell you a thousand little things of interest here but truly I have been a little troubled with the reflection that I have another year of doubt and uncertainty before me. I know that you are so full of zeal to enlarge the sphere of your duties, that you will not be disposed to bother yourself with the duties of others, but you know others are not so well disposed.

I will surely return, but feel some scruples about my family, as it will involve a good deal of expense. Graham's ceasing to be vice-president will also make it more difficult for me, as the Board does not act in reason to me. Whenever I act and any family is offended they effectively reverse me. They yield to any outside pressure – and yet relieve me from none of the duties of treasurer, clerk, quartermaster, storekeeper, and general drudge, for which I was not employed. This is true and yet Manning writes me of the great confidence they have in me officially and individually. They feel that they can use me as they choose. Maybe – excuse this growl – I'll write you a letter from the sunshine and rich fields of Ohio in a day or two.
_______________

1 An employee at the Seminary.- ED.

SOURCE: Walter L. Fleming, General W.T. Sherman as College President, p. 262-4

No comments: