Saturday, July 30, 2022

William T. Sherman to David F. Boyd, October 3, 1860

LANCASTER, O., Oct. 3, 1860.
MY DEAR FRIEND:

It is all-important the bedding, stationery, and textbooks, [and] your library books should all be on hand November 1. If Red River be at all navigable I will stick to it, but otherwise I must depend on wagons, and it is unsafe to judge of this beforehand. I will be much influenced by what I hear from you on arrival at New Orleans. I have knowledge that everything will be there in readiness by the end of next week. I will surely reach New Orleans by Saturday, 13th instant, and hope to be en route hence by October 15 or 16. If Red River be navigable I can come right along, otherwise I must wait at mouth of Red River till wagons come down.

I send you a copy of the printed regulations. I have twenty-five with me and one thousand are now enroute for New Orleans, where I will take them up – it was impossible to have them done before. I did not have them bound, as these one thousand copies will last us three years, by which time a new edition will be certain.

The weather here is cold and raw, and it is time for southern birds to take flight. Nothing new in politics, but the election of Lincoln is still regarded as quite certain here. The truth is New York and Pennsylvania control this result, and they are always uncertain.

SOURCES: Walter L. Fleming, General W.T. Sherman as College President, p. 292-3

No comments: