Friday, September 9, 2022

William T. Sherman to George Mason Graham, January 5, 1861

ALEXANDRIA, Jan. 5, 1861.

Sir: I have not acknowledged the receipt of the four kegs of cartridges. They are old, unserviceable, and much decayed. The powder is all caked and even the balls are partially damaged by the corrosion of the nitre.

Still these balls can be used for our practice in the spring, provided the parish jury will assent to the use of some of the powder which I have on hand purchased with their money.

I have made myannual report accompanied by statements of finances, property, etc., all of which I know will interest you much. I went to Alexandria on Thursday to deliver them to Dr. Smith, but he had gone up to Mr. McNutts and I left them with Mr. Manning. If you go to Alexandria, and have leisure, I would be pleased to hear you have given them a careful perusal. My report may seem to you rather short. I did feel much tempted to avail myself of that opportunity to point out the inconsistent parts of our regulations and also to demonstrate that we have taken a course of study so voluminous as to result in superficial education, but our country is so agitated by political questions calculated to break down all governments, that these things might seem out of place.

My duty here is plain, simple, but not so easy as one would suppose. I think by keeping our studies and duties progressing without pause or interruption, that I will do my share to sustain the principle of government that is fast giving away all over the land, the only principle that can save us from a general anarchy. My only hope for the salvation of the constitution of the country is in the army. The law is or should be our king; we should obey it, not because it meets our approval, but because it is the law – and because obedience in some shape is necessary to every system of civilized government. For years this tendency to anarchy has gone on, till now every state and county and town through the instrumentality of juries, either regular or lynch, make and enforce the local prejudices as the law of the land. This is the real trouble, it is not slavery, it is the democratic spirit which substitutes mere popular opinions for law. But I know you have bores enough to trouble you - and I wont add my share: but you will do justice to the difficulties that envelop me in my private relations.

SOURCE: Walter L. Fleming, General W.T. Sherman as College President, p. 328-9

No comments: