Saturday, February 11, 2023

Brigadier-General Albin F. Schoepf to Brigadier-General George H. Thomas, December 6, 1861

HEADQUARTERS, Somerset, December 6, 1861.
Brig. Gen. GEORGE H. THOMAS,
        Commanding Eastern Division:

GENERAL: The enemy have crossed the Cumberland, as near as I can learn, with four regiments of infantry, two regiments of cavalry, and eight pieces of artillery. As there was no position near the river that could have been held by the small force under me (not 1,900), I deemed it my duty to move back about 3 miles beyond Somerset to a very fine position, that commands the Crab Orchard road and also the road to Stanford, where I now am, and shall await my re-enforcements, and will then move forward.

The position at Fishing Creek was untenable, on account of three roads flanking us, all leading to the different ferries, which rendered it impossible for me to distribute my few men with any hope of success.

The movement of last night was not known to the enemy until this morning.

The enemy had 3,000 encamped about 3 miles west of us, and, as I learned from scouts, they were still crossing and moving down the river banks, where they drove in our pickets and took possession of the ferries at Hudson's and also the one at Patterson's, both of which have roads leading to the main road, about one mile in my rear, which has no place for artillery to operate effectively.

I could have held a position where the enemy is encamped, had it not been for the unpardonable disobedience of Captain Dillion to occupy the point opposite Mill Springs, when I positively ordered him to do so. I have ordered him to report himself to me, when I shall order him in arrest and send him to Lebanon, hoping that something may be done to prevent such flagrant disobedience in the future.

Our pickets were firing until late in the night, but without any damage to us, our men reporting to have killed a few of the enemy.

Day before yesterday a messenger from you reported to me that he had lost the dispatch you sent by him, and yesterday a gentleman found one on the road, directed to me, containing invoices from the quartermaster, which was also sent by a messenger. The messenger I sent you day before yesterday has also lost my dispatch to you. All of these men belong to Wolford's cavalry.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,
A. SCHOEPF,   
Brigadier-General.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 7 (Serial No. 7), p. 476

No comments: