Friday, February 3, 2023

George Mason Graham to William T. Sherman, February 6, 1861

TYRONE, LA., Wednesday, Feb. 6, 1861.

DEAR COLONEL: . . . Those cartridges1 are the wretched (as I am sorry to learn from you they turn out to be) remains of my old company, “The Rapides Horse Guards.” The vaulting ambition of a succeeding company and the characteristic legislation of the police jury got the carbines, sabres, pistols, and accoutrements burned up; the small box of cartridges which I have here being perfectly sound, it had not occurred to me that, put up as they are, they could be damaged; those you got have always remained in the railroad warehouse, and I am sorry to hear from you that they have become useless; it is not a matter of so much consequence now to either of us as it was a few months ago.

Your letters have given me much food for sad reflection. I have tried in various ways, after my quiet fashion, during thirty odd years of residence here, to do these people some good. The organization of this Seminary, with yourself at the head of it — I had hoped something from it in the way of elevating their social and mental conditions, but it is ever casting “pearls before swine;” for the future I shall “let Ephraim alone, for he is wedded to his idols.”

All of these proceedings! people in their sovereign capacity assembled in convention, and legislature in session at the same time! What do we want with both? — to make more taxes to feed hungry Locofocos.

I have been trying for more than three months to get off to New Orleans. On Sunday sent my trunk to Alexandria, expecting to go on Monday. Now my passage is taken for to-morrow on the "Burton" (couldn't go to the party at Joe Hynson's last night for want of clothes, for the road is in too impassable a condition to send for my trunk and then send it back again), so that I cannot await the uncertainty of a meeting of the board on Saturday.

I sent yesterday your last letter, informing me of the call of the meeting, up to Sanford and Whittington, requesting them to attend, and to insist on the passage of a resolution directing the vice-president to pay you your arsenal salary up to the day of your withdrawal, out of Seminary funds, and take your warrant on the auditor for the amount when appropriated by the legislature, to be thus returned to the Seminary funds. If I was certain that there would be a full quorum and a boat on which I could get off on Saturday afternoon, much as it would inconvenience me, I should remain for this purpose. . .

_______________

1 See pages 317 and 328. - ED.

SOURCE: Walter L. Fleming, General W.T. Sherman as College President, p. 360-1

No comments: