Friday, February 3, 2023

S. A. Smith to William T. Sherman, February 6, 1861

BATON ROUGE, Feb. 11, 1861.

DEAR SIR: I have been in New Orleans for ten days, and on returning here find two letters from you, also your prompt answer to the resolution of the House of Representatives, for which I am much obliged.

The resolution passed the last day before adjournment. I was purposing to respond, when your welcome report came to hand. I have arranged to pay you five hundred dollars.

I will say nothing of general politics, except to give my opinion that there is not to be any war.

In the event, would it not be possible for you to become a citizen of our state? Every one deplores your determination to leave us. At the same time your friends feel that you are abandoning a position that might become an object of desire to any one.

I will try to meet you in New Orleans at any time you may indicate; but it would be best for you to stop here, when, if possible, I will accompany you. Bring with you a few copies of the “Rules of the Seminary." 

SOURCE: Walter L. Fleming, General W.T. Sherman as College President, p. 362-3

No comments: