Saturday, March 11, 2023

Francis W. Smith to William T. Sherman, March 2, 1861

[Continued from Francis W. Smith to William T. Sherman, March 1, 1861]

SATURDAY. I was interrupted just at this point and recommence my letter. The Board met last night and decided that Mr. St. A's communication involved no point requiring their action. Mr. Vallas will satisfy him by buying the books. The mail is just in, bringing Boyd your letter, for which he thanksyou; also one from Bragg sending two thousand cartridges, and inquiring if we have any cadets suitable for junior lieutenants. I have not determined what to write to him, as we could ill spare our best at the present time.

When you left, Major, I wished to thank you for many an act of kindness and forbearance that you had shown me. But really my heart was so full, that I could not speak. I have often been petulant and perhaps assuming towards you all and I could have received no kinder rebuke than the manner which you have always displayed towards me. I look with deep regret upon the fact that the relations, which have subsisted between us, and which have been so pleasant and profitable for me, should have been broken off. And I yet hope that we may meet somewhere and those feelings of respect and friendship, which I shall always have for you, may reassume a tangible shape.

You will allow me to present my warm regards to Mrs. Sherman and the children – to express my regret that I was denied the pleasure which I had often anticipated, of forming their acquaintance, and I sincerely hope and pray that, whether you settle down with Minnie and Willy on your knee, or again become a "Wanderer,” God will bless you and yours.

Clark, Boyd, and the Jarreaus join me in warm regards.

SOURCE: Walter L. Fleming, General W.T. Sherman as College President, p. 372-3

No comments: