Saturday, March 11, 2023

S. A. Smith to William T. Sherman, March 11, 1861

BATON ROUGE, LA., March 11th, 1861.

MY DEAR SIR: I was most pleased in receiving your letter from St. Louis and gratified to learn some of your opinions upon existing questions formed while you surveyed the field from a new, and to us, opposite standpoint.

I inferred from reading your note that there would be no policy of coercion at present. At this I experienced a feeling of relief in a moment as I relied upon your judgment and the correctness of your observation.

The abstract questions of right and title which in our new positions would have to be maintained by final arbitrament of arms, lose their interest in the face of the consequences immediately before us should your side at this time institute an appeal to this final arbiter. It is certain that our people are in dead earnest when they declare that they have a right to secede and furthermore that they intend to exhaust all the elements at their disposal in the maintenance of this position should it be assailed from any quarter.

Whether we succeed or not in resisting the application of force, the conflict would be a disgrace. It would be a blot upon our page in the history of the world and would be proclaimed elsewhere as the end of the final experiment in determining the capacity of any people for self-government.

It would lead to the creation and perfecting of large standing armies, and you know better than I that the principles of popular government could not stand against the interests of an overwhelming military establishment on either side.

To those whose belief in the excellence of our liberal institutions – won by so many trials and sacrifices amounts to a religious faith, such a prospect is appalling.

Therefore let the good men of both sections exert all their influence in preventing and removing all causes of collision. Succeeding in this, every sincere Democrat will be confident that the people will in some way arrange all matters of difference in some satisfactory manner.

I have nothing of interest to communicate. The Seminary seems to go on as you left it. I had a letter from my wife expressing her regret at our losing you and telling me that even little Ledoux begged you to stay. These feelings conformed to my own and exhibit in a striking manner the results of late political events.

I have been looking for some reports that might interest you and will send you a package. There is one from the Judiciary Committee advocating a change in relation to the law of evidence which I commend to your notice as exceedingly able, beautiful, and excellent. It is the production of one of our first lawyers, Mr. Randal Hunt.

I shall hope that you will continue to keep me posted as to your movements and particularly as to your final decision upon a place to settle and the business which you resolve to engage in. At the same time I shall be most happy to be able to keep you informed upon any subject which may interest you down here.

I agree with you that our interest will finally determine our feelings and farther that the people will finally settle the whole matter when they have been allowed time to consider and understand the questions at issue.

I would be glad if you could consistently with duty give me freely and frankly your opinions as to the probable line of policy which will be pursued by Lincoln's administration when you have had the opportunity of ascertaining pretty certainly what it will be. I will promise to respond in like manner as to our course as such interchanges between honest men can have no other than a good effect. With every wish for your prosperity.

SOURCE: Walter L. Fleming, General W.T. Sherman as College President, p. 373-5

No comments: