Saturday, May 27, 2023

Charles Sumner to George Sumner, March 18, 1850

You have doubtless read Webster's speech. To me it seems a heartless apostasy; its whole tone is low and bad, while its main points are untenable and unsound. I have been glad to observe the moral indignation which has been aroused against it. The merchants of Boston subscribe to it, it is their wont to do such things; but Governor Briggs expressed himself against it in conversation with me, as warmly as I do, and said that the people of Massachusetts would not sanction it. David Henshaw says it is the cunningest and best bid for the Presidency that Webster has ever made. I should not be astonished if he were Secretary of State within a short time. No man can tell how this contest is to terminate. It is clear that there is to be a good deal of speaking before any important votes. I anticipate much from my friend Chase in the Senate. He is an able lawyer, and of admirable abilities otherwise.

SOURCE: Edward L. Pierce, Memoir and Letters of Charles Sumner, Vol. 3, p. 213

No comments: