Saturday, May 6, 2023

Dr. Seth Rogers to his daughter Dolly, April 12, 1863

April 12.

Should one inquire for my health tonight, I might adopt the reply of a soldier yesterday: "Not superior, thank God." A good night's sleep will restore all that was lost under the tramp of couriers and rattle of sabres on the piazza during the whole of last night. Why couriers should carry sabres except to be in harmony with the general spirit of the War Department, I cannot conceive. There would be precisely as much sense in my being tripped up by mine at the bedside of the sick or at the operating table. Ample preparations were made for the repulse of a large invading force and no force invaded. I guess we are all a little sorry, since it seems like flying in the face of Providence to leave unused for skirmishing these wonderful pine barrens. I thought General Saxton looked a little disappointed about it when he came out this morning. General Hunter, who ought to be holding Charleston today, was with him. Were I not so sleepy I would crowd in a few curses here on the mismanagement which has resulted in the withdrawal of our forces from before Charleston.

SOURCE: Proceedings of the Massachusetts Historical Society, Volume 43, October, 1909—June, 1910: February 1910. p. 387-8

No comments: