Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Jefferson Davis to Susannah Gartley Davis, August 2, 1824

Lexington, August 2, 1824.

Dear Sister: It is gratifying to hear from a friend, especially one from whom I had not heard so long as yourself, but the intelligence contained in yours was more than sufficient to mar the satisfaction of hearing from any one. You must imagine I cannot describe the shock my feelings sustained at the sad intelligence. In my father1 I lost a parent ever dear to me, but rendered more so (if possible) by the disasters that attended his declining years.

When I saw him last he told me we would probably never see each other again. Yet I still hoped to meet him once more, but heaven has refused my wish. This is the second time I have been doomed to receive the heart-rending intelligence of the Death of a Friend. God only knows whether or not it will be the last. If all the dear friends of my childhood are to be torn from me, I care not how soon I may follow.

I leave in a short time for West Point, State of New York, where it will always give me pleasure to hear from you.

Kiss the children for Uncle Jeff. Present me affectionately to Brother Isaac; tell him I would be happy to hear from him; and to yourself the sincere regard of

Your Brother,
Jefferson.
Mrs. Susannah Davis,
        Warrenton, Warren County, Miss.
_______________

1 Samuel Davis, father of Jefferson Davis, died July 4, 1824, and is buried at the Davis farm in Wilkinson county, Mississippi, near Woodville.

SOURCE: Dunbar Rowland, Editor, Jefferson Davis, Constitutionalist: His Letters, Papers and Speeches, Volume 1, p. 2

No comments: