Saturday, May 6, 2023

L. H. C, a Friend in Syracuse to John Brown, November 24, 1859

Syracuse, N. Y., Nov. 26.

Captain John Brown, thou Friend of God and Man: Will you allow a line from me to mingle with the thousands of expressions of sympathy that reach you in your prison house? But my words are feeble things, when God is so manifestly with you. His presence and the consolations of His grace are richer and far better than all I possess, or can impart. I have long loved you for your works' sake; for you have shown yourself a man. Be of good courage, and our Father in Heaven will sustain you and make you conqueror "through Him who loveth us and gave Himself for us."

I am the possessor of a single hair from the head of the immortal Clarkson, presented me, some years ago, by your friend and mine, Mrs. Geritt Smith. I value it very highly. My desire is, that you may send me by mail, accompanying your own handwriting, a lock from your own head, and I will make many of your friends partners in its possession.

The Lord make His face to shine The Lord lift up His countenance

"The Lord keep thee and bless thee. upon thee, and be gracious unto thee. upon thee, and give thee peace," is the daily prayer of

Your sincere friend and brother,
L. H. C.

SOURCE: James Redpath, Editor, Echoes of Harper’s Ferry, p. 397-8

No comments: